Dreamland




Baby Girl lost a tooth last night. A molar, that sucker is huge. People call it a twelve year molar because most kids lose them when they are about 12. Baby Girl is 10, she really likes doing everything early.  She was 5 when she lost her very first tooth.  I was completely taken by surprise because the dentist told me not to even worry about it till she was 6. hmmm.  Baby Girl said "tell me the story about when I lost my first tooth" she really likes this story, instead I said, "would you like to here what daddy said when you lost your first tooth"  "YEA" she exclaims.  "Well daddy was at work when your tooth fell out, so I texted him and said 'your never going to believe what just happened' he texted back 'what' 'guess' I said. Then he started guessing, but hes daddy right so all his guesses were crazy like, 'there's a cougar in the back yard' 'someone gave us a million dollars' 'A horse just pooped on our walkway' (that one did actually happen once) all kinds of silly things but he didn't guess a lost tooth and I didn't tell him. I waited till he got home and you smiled at him. he said 'whaaaattttt how did that happen' and we both laughed at him." Then Baby Girl giggled and giggled at this silly story about her daddy.

That in itself is a big change for us.  Grief has been hard on Baby Girl (thats the understatement of the century). For the first year after Dan died Baby Girl hardly mentioned his name, I could probably count on one hand how many times she did mention it.  It wasn't much better the second year, I probably needed both hands to count how many times she talked about her daddy.  Her heart, her brain, her body just couldn't take it.  She would literally run out of the room if anyone started talking about Dan.  It has been two years and seven months since Dan died. Just this summer she has started talking about him herself. She has started asking questions about him. Things I wish with every being I didn't have to answer for her, things I wish she could just remember, like how he hated coffee, and a Bismarck was his favorite donut. I just told her today about how before she was born he had knee surgery. Had Dan been alive that knee surgery would have been updated this last year and she would have known all about it.  But then sometimes she will tell me a funny story about him that I don't remember. I guess you could say shes healing, except that I hate that phrase because it's impossible to be healed from this.  But something is changing, maybe she has grown enough that her brain and her heart can let him back in.

Baby Girl had a dream a couple weeks ago. She woke up all smiles and happiness and said "Mommy I just had the best dream ever! Me and you and Daddy and auntie Pween were all at the mall of America (we were there this summer in real life) and we were riding all the rides.  Then just daddy and I went on the obstacle course and it was really cool. Then just daddy and I went on the zip line and it was really fun."  They never did this exact thing, but it's the exact thing they would have done together.  That's what she did with her daddy, they went on wild adventures, they climbed rocks, and sledded down hills.  She remembers that, he was her adventure buddy.  I could picture the trouble they would get into when she was a little older, upside down roller coasters, bungy jumping, sky diving, they would have done it all. Instead it's just a dream, even if it was a really good dream.

Baby Girl had another dream a couple days ago.  This one was not so good. I heard her crying in her sleep and ran into her room. "I'm here baby, mommy is right here."  tears coming out of her closed eyes and her fists clenched she cries "no no I wana go home" That one always kills me, because we are home, but this isn't the home she means, she means her old home, the one with daddy." She opened her eyes shaking, crying, and looked around. "Mommy, mommy I had a really bad dream."  shes still crying, she is distraught like I have never seen her from a dream before.  My mind is racing, crap crap crap, this is it, shes remembering, shes remembering the night Dan died, shes been talking about him so much it must have come back to her.  (Side note, to my knowledge baby Girl slept through that whole awful event, it was the middle of the night and she was in her room. But I always wonder if she heard things anyway or I have the crushing thought that maybe she was awake through the whole thing and just to scared to come out.) Hence the mind racing panic I was going through over her bad dream.  A few minutes of hugging and she was ready to tell me what her dream was about.  In essence her favorite stuffed animal (which means the world to her) was lost and she searched and searched but couldn't find it anywhere. Whew. Big sigh of relief it was only about a stuffed animal not her dad dying. Whew. (Yup I say actual sentences like that now, that is our life.)  When I told my friend this story as an explanation as to why we were running late she said "well it sounds like grief to me.  think about it, her most precious thing in the world was lost. In the dream it was the stuffed animal but it could be representing Dan." I guess that could explain why she was so truly upset.  Then again neither my friend or I are professional dream interpreters.

She wrote a letter to the tooth fairy to go with her giant molar.  The tooth fairy always writes back on tooth shaped paper, I was not the person that came up with this idea.  Tooth fairy days are winding to a close, this may be the last year for Santa (if we make it to Christmas at all). She starts fifth grade tomorrow morning, she says she wants to ride the bus, I guess shes too cool for her mom to drive her on the first day anymore.  She seems to be getting so big so fast, I'm heart broken again and again that Dan is missing it all. Dan is missing it all and her little body is growing enough that now it has space to let the memories of her daddy in.

I wrote a book about my grief, you can read it here: Carry on Castle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PTSD is not for sissys

The Floor

Milestones in grief