The 12




This will likely be a disjointed blog. Why? Because today is the 12. I hate the 12. In case you don't know the 12 is the day Dan died. January 12, 2015. It was the worst day of my life and I pray I will never have a day worse then it. 20 months today.

Now I have a confession to make, and it feels very strange saying it. For the first time since Dan died I did not wake up on the 12 and go "crap today's the 12" It was not the first thought in my head even though I knew yesterday that it was coming. The first thought in my head was "Crap (or maybe perhaps fuck) it's 7:30 we're going to be late for school" and then I thought "well that makes sense today's the 12"

You see things always go wrong on the 12, always. Things that seem random and non related to grief. Things that in a normal life wouldn't be that big of a deal, but in grief they are because you know you just can't handle one more thing on this day. It's like the world knows it's a terrible day so thing after thing just goes wrong. Your body knows what day it is too, and it doesn't like it either, so you are extra tired and scatter brained. Your grieving child who likes to pretend shes not grieving also knows what day it is, even if her brain doesn't know today is the 12, Even if her brain doesn't know daddy died on the 12, her body knows.

I am happy to say with much rushing we did make it to school on time. Then I went to work on my new house. Upon getting there I realized I had forgotten to wash the paint brushes out the last time I was there. So trying to salvage them I took them to the sink. After about three minutes of the sink running I notice water pouring out of the cupboard below. Apparently my new house has some pipe issues. Of course it almost had o because today is the 12. So I sat on the floor for awhile and watched water dribble all over and thought "today's the 12, I should have known better" Then I cleaned up the mess and worked on finding a plummer.

I bought a new mail box for my new house and decided I would go take the old one off and put the new one on. 20 minute task that will make me feel like I have accomplished something today. It was not a 20 minute task. It's not even done and I worked on it for hours. Whats so hard about putting on a mailbox you ask? Well nothing except today is the 12 so everything.

I am painting my room green. last week I got a sample jar of paint for it and put some on the wall, it was ok but not perfect, so today I went and got another sample of a different green. It looked really nice on the swatch at the store, calm. I put some on my wall. It looks like baby poo. Of course I have baby poo paint on my wall, today is the 12, really it was inevitable.

I picked baby girl up from school. A few days ago she was invited to go with her two best friends after school today to a golf class. Baby girl doesn't like golf, she didn't want to go, she has no interest in it. Until she saw her besties get picked up together to go have fun without her, then she figured out it was about being with them not golf, but it was to late for her to sign up. So she cried all the way home instead. Because it's the 12.

Every 12 is the same, just a day of everything going bad. The first 12 an army of vicious vicious ants attacked my kitchen. I always wonder why I haven't yet learned to just stay home and lock the door and watch tv all day on the 12. I try to tell myself it's just another day, stuff needs to be done, a physical date has no bearing. But that is all a lie, it does have bearing, it's not just another day.

20 Months Dan. Every single night I go to bed wondering how I made it through another day without you. Every single night I go to bed without your kiss, without you telling me you love me. 20 months is forever, 20 months feels like it was just yesterday. 20 months of Carrying on with a broken soul.


I wrote a book about my grief, you can read it here: Carry on Castle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PTSD is not for sissys

The Floor

Milestones in grief