The future is black






I went to therapy the other day.  I know I haven't written about therapy in a while.  Never fear my crazy widow brain is alive and well, thus I still go to therapy. Just haven't gotten around to writing about it. Actually I haven't had the heart to write about it.  Therapy has been rough the last couple of weeks and honestly I've mostly cried through the whole thing.  My heart has been so heavy lately and It makes me mad. Mad at myself because "I've been doing so well" yup those words came out of my own mouth, I really felt good this summer. Like I was finally kicking some widow ass. Now I feel like I'm back to just barely keeping my head above water and that makes me mad. Mad at Dan for having the nerve to still be dead after all this time. I mean what is his problem anyway, all he has to do is just stop being dead and everything would be fine again. Simple right?

I am a planner, I like to have a plan I like to know whats going on. Maybe thats why I fit in so well with Dan's family they are all planners (ok they take planning to the extreme even for me), except Dan. Dan was so not a planner, like ever. At this moment I can only think of one thing he planned out completely, the date we went on the night he asked me to marry him. That's one of the things that worked so great about us, I could plan us a trip to the beach and he would throw in something spontaneous to do there like get Tattoos. It was the best of both worlds, I didn't have to sleep in the car because he didn't find a hotel room and I got a shiney new tattoo.

For my personality style it is one of the things I hate most about this whole dead husband thing.  It wasn't in my plan, and now I don't have a plan. "I wish someone would just tell what to do and I'll do it" I have told my therapist on more then one occasion. Just tell me what the plan is, just let me know. She won't tell me, she says I have to figure it out on my own. ugggg, lame, stupid, I don't know how. Three years ago I had a plan.

Two years and 10 months ago I had a plan. Until the moment Dan died I had a plan. I knew what was going to happen, The paramedics would help Dan wake up and then they would insist they take him to the hospital. He would try to argue that he was fine and didn't need to go and was going on a trip for work in the morning. I would tell him he was going to the hospital and give him a 'don't even try to mess with your wife look'  The next day in the hospital he would hassle me about how this was ridiculous and he was fine and he couldn't believe I called 911, there was nothing wrong with him. They could have been out there saving people who actually needed it instead of wasting there time on him because he was fine.  I would have rolled my eyes at him about a thousand times that day.  That was a good plan. What actually happened, actually dying that was a bad plan, I'm gonna go ahead and say it was the worst plan ever.

Thus I am in therapy telling my counselor that I don't know what to do, I don't know the plan. She tells me I don't have to know. Ya but uggggggg.  But this is the problem I tell her,  "Always, always when I looked into the future I could see Dan and I. Old, wrinkled, sitting on our porch holding hands (his hands still felt the same around mine even though it was old and wrinkled). The sun was setting and we were watching our grandkids play in the yard. They looked so happy, we smiled at each other and said 'ya we made that'  I always thought it was a pretty good plan.  Now when I look to the future that isn't there, nothing is there, it's just black, empty, nothing. And that is scary as hell.

I wrote a book about my grief, you can read it here: Carry on Castle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PTSD is not for sissys

The Floor

Milestones in grief